Skip main navigation

Barclays uses cookies on this website. They help us to know a little bit about how you use our website, which improves the browsing experience– both for you and for others. They are stored locally on your computer or mobile device. To accept cookies, continue to use the website. Alternatively, go to the cookies policy for more information on how to disable cookies.


Can I close my account while there is stock on it?


If you want to close your account while there is still stock remaining either active or of nil value you have the following options:

Re Registration

This is where you ask us to produce a certificate for the stock you hold on your portfolio.  We would send this out to you once your account has been closed down and this would make you the sole owner of the stock.

Please note that re registration fees of £30 apply for each line of stock you re register.  These prices include VAT.

Nil Value House

This is where you close your account but still retain ownership of stock which is of no current value.  For example you may hold a stock which has been indefinitely suspended and does not have an up to date price.  We can hold the shares in our "nil value account" and if the shares return to the market at any point in the future we will write to you informing you of your options.


If you decide that when closing your account that you would like to gift the stock to charity then you can advise us to transfer the ownership over to Sharegift, if the shares start trading in the future then the charity will benefit.

You can call our client service team on 0800 279 6551 / 0141 352 3909 to find out what options you have for each stock as each line of stock can have different circumstances.

How helpful was this answer?

Not at all Very helpful